Information about the Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS).
The Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) course provides the necessary training needed to meet the demands employers need for health and safety compliance. It is a recognised industry-standard course specifically aimed to impart the knowledge that construction managers need to meet their legislative demands.
Taken over the course of five days, this training is aimed at construction site managers, agents and any persons who are involved in monitoring, administering, controlling and organising staff and workforces.
All relevant legislation regarding the safety aspects of working in construction environments and civil engineering industries will be covered. There will be an emphasis on the need for risk assessments to take place, the implementation of safety measures and the need for clear communication with the workforce to foster and maintain a good Health & Safety culture on site.
The course is designed to help site managers and all supervisory staff to:
- Administer Health & Safety measures within the context of their management or supervisory role
- Develop an understanding of responsibilities and accountability for site health, safety and welfare
- Manage Health & Safety on-site in accordance with current legal provisions
- Recognise a safe site is efficient, economical and productive
The course will include the following training topics:
- Accident costs, causes, investigation, prevention and reporting requirements
- Behavioural science including awareness of human error
- Development of 'safe systems of work' and permit systems
- Effective communicating
- Introduction to health and safety law, duties, responsibilities, enforcement and sanctions
- Management of Contractors
- Overviews/explanations of relevant construction activity legislation
- Risk assessment and 'principles of prevention'
- Safety management systems, policies, plans, performance and measuring
On successful completion of the course, the candidate will receive the CITB accredited certificate. Following this training the candidate will be able to:
- Implement all health, safety, welfare and environmental legislations which affects them on a daily basis in the workplace
- Implement new guidance and industry best practice according to the latest legislation
- State their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environmental safety of the site
Who is the course for?
As well as existing construction site managers, this course is for anyone with responsibilities in any element of site management such as contract, project, foremen or engineers, quantity surveyors and planners, as well as those people currently in training to hold such positions. Generally any person within the building, construction and civil engineering industries, who has site management duties should consider this course.